& Culture > Todays Life
Farming is still dominating the New Zealand economy, and the country is
undergoing a major change. Manufacturing industries have become more
important. New Zealand is still heavily dependent on overseas trade (USA, Australia,
Japan) but forestry, horticulture, manufacturing and tourism have become more significant.
- New Zealand is a world leader in
yacht design and production.
- The Industry is specializing in
adventure sports equipment and clothing.
- In recent years New Zealand has also gained an
increasing reputation for electronics and telecommunication technology, in particular for
business and educational computer software.
- Clean, renewable resources are
the focus of New Zealand energy needs.
- Technology is becoming a
significant part and New Zealanders are embracing the information technology explosion.
- Nearly half of all homes have a
computer and Internet connection.
- Cellular phone coverage is almost
- New Zealand is on the verge of a
cashless society. All major trading banks offer automatic payments, and electronic
banking by phone or Internet.
- Auckland is not only the largest
city with 1.5 million people, Auckland also has one of the tallest buildings in the world,
the Sky City Tower (328 meters in height).
- 2.7 million Motor vehicles are licensed in New